Re: POE summary

On Mon, 14 Apr 1997, A. R. Marlow wrote:

Scenario: I am sitting peacefully on a bench when the driver in a
parked
car down the street suddenly starts the car and manages 0 to 60 mph in
20
sec. Other than being a little disturbed by the noise, I feel nothing
whatever, even though a quick calculation shows my acceleration
relative to the car to be well in excess of 1 m/s^2.

Where I fear I must be misinterpreting: Are we to say that a force
acts on me because of the acceleration I have relative to the car?

Look at *your* accelerometer. It will tell you that you are accelerating
upward at approximately 9.8 m/s^2 just as it did when the car was parked.
Nothing has changed. As I said repeatedly, it is acceleration **relative
to local inertial (i.e. freely falling) frames** that matters. The only
significant forces acting on you before and after the car started moving
are the support forces from the ground and your bench which, together,
produce approximately 9.8 N of upward force for every kg of your body
mass.

N.B. Since most people apparently can't stand the thought of taking
accelerometer readings at face value, you may want to *interpret* your
accelerometer reading as an artifact of a local gravitational field of
9.8
N/kg downward which brings you into equilibrium with the upward forces of
support.

I have no difficulty whatsoever with accepting the 9.8 m/s acceleration
away from inertial freefall produced by the earth pushing on me, and I
certainly feel the very real force the earth exerts, and I need not
invent any ghostly undetectible "forces" to counteract that. (And I
need no accelerometers anywhere in this process -- I have my trusty
dynamometers in my flesh and bones.)

Where I fear I must be misinterpreting is when I recall reading posts that
seemed to call for creating such ghostly forces to accompany the very
real acceleration I measure relative to the car down the street.