Re: Temp of Universe (was Definitions of Temperature)

The main thing that makes me queasy about all this is that while the
photons can exchange energy with other objects, they don't regain
equilibrium among themselves after doing so. Thus we can look at
how readily the gas of photons will give up or accept energy, but
I can't think of a meaningful way to ask how the entropy of the
photon gas changes after such an exchange, since afterwards it will
no longer be in internal equilibrium. I guess the reason that this
isn't a problem operationally is that the photon reservoir is so
huge, we can't really disturb it significantly no matter how much
energy we add or remove.

Well, those are my thoughts. What do you think?

Dan

You make basically the standard cosmological choice for "temperature
of the universe." I would just add that you last point here should
basically resolve all your queasiness. The background photons do not
interact significantly with matter since most of the matter has no
charge. Further, the entropy of the universe (which is mostly the
entropy of the background radiation) is ridiculously large -- in
energy units of GeV, the entropy per comoving volume is of order
10^87. It would be tough to change that significantly.

Some relatively easily accessible references: Blau & Guth in 300
Years Of Gravitation (ed Hawking & Israel). Also Kold & Turner's
The Early Universe. Both are somewhat heavy going but the former
is a bit less formidable.

Paul J. Camp "The Beauty of the Universe
Assistant Professor of Physics consists not only of unity
Coastal Carolina University in variety but also of
Conway, SC 29528 variety in unity.
pjcamp@coastal.edu --Umberto Eco
pjcamp@postoffice.worldnet.att.net The Name of the Rose
(803)349-2227