Re: Operational Definitions

Larry,

This particular example doesn't seem so bad, but I'm wary of operational
definitions in general. My science education professor once asked us in
class what the definition of temperature was and a PhD physicist taking the
class with me responded with usual stuff about average kinetic energy. The
Sci Ed prof said no, and no other student could come up with any other
definitions. So after class I asked him what _real_ the definition of
temperature was and he said, "It is how hot or cold an object feels." So
if I put my left hand in a bucket of cold water and my right hand in a
bucket of hot water, and then simultaneously plunge them both in a bucket
of warm water, the middle bucket has two different temperatures at the same
time? And objects that aren't being felt have no temperature? Does an
object that isn't being weighed at some instant of time have weight then?

I think, I got your point, Larry. Physics solved this problem.
The operational definition of weight contains STANDARD weighing using a
calibrated scale and not an attempt to hold the object by hand. Indeed,
the result of the latter procedure is in an obvious dependense of how
frequent you are doing your working out.

Igal.