Re: Weight

I too define weight in this fashion, although for simpler reasons than
talking about non-inertial frames, and free-fall frames etc.

Simply put, if you define weight to be the gravitational force acting on
an
object; how do you explain why we say astronoughts are weigtless while
orbiting the earth, since they still have a gravitational force acting on
them.

Therefore defining weight as the magnitude of the non-gravitational force
present balancing the gravitational force on the scale used, relieves one
from the above conundrum and allows one to consistantly understand the
term
weightless up on the space-shuttle

Joel

A good point, but since this definition depends on the vertical component
of acceleration, maybe we should dispense with the use of the word "weight"
from our explanations entirely. I would hate to tell a student swinging a
bucket in a vertical circle that the "weight" of the bucket was varying in
magnitude and alternately up then down. I'd rather talk about the tension
in the rope.

Interesting example, in this case I too, would rather talk about tension,
but I also think I wouldn't mention the idea of weight here either. I'd
restrict the conversation to tension and force of gravity.

Likewise rather than calling the normal force holding you up your "weight",
maybe we should just call it the normal force.

There are normal forces that don't hold up some entities weight. E.G. the
classic problem of and accelerating block pushing another from their sides.
And one is asked what the acceleration must be to keep the other one
suspended and not sliding down (Do not neglect friction)

Joel