*********************
.. . .
LC <--> M-S
-----------
q <--> x
i <--> v
C <--> 1/k
L <--> m

My first question is, "What is the mechanical analogy of potential
difference?" (This is actually a question in the book.) I feel that I
have the answer they are looking for, but I was wondering what other people
would come up with. . .

Jeff Marx
**********************

Each term in the mechanical equation (F=ma) has units of force;
each term in the electrical equation (Kirchoff's loop law) has units of
volts. This may be what prompted the student's query. In this purely
mathematical sense, an analogy can be drawn. However the student should
be shown that either, or both, equation(s) could be multiplied by some
quantity (having dimensions) and thus introduce a variety of such analogies
(of questionable value).

Bob Sciamanda sciamanda@edinboro.edu
Dept of Physics sciamanda@worldnet.att.net
Edinboro Univ of PA http://www.edinboro.edu/~sciamanda/home.html