LC circuit/mass-spring analogy

Hi all,
Three questions related to the LC circuit/mass-spring analogy...

1) According to Halliday, Resnick, and Walker's "Fundamentals of
Physics" (Fourth Edition) the analogy between elements and variables in an
LC circuit and a mass/spring system goes like this...

LC <--> M-S
-----------
q <--> x
i <--> v
C <--> 1/k
L <--> m

My first question is, "What is the mechanical analogy of potential
difference?" (This is actually a question in the book.) I feel that I
have the answer they are looking for, but I was wondering what other people
would come up with.
2) My next question is how does one present the answer to the above
question in a light that may not be confusing to the students?
3) What are some limitations of the LC <--> M-S analogy?

Thanks in advance for any insights you may have on these questions.

Jeff Marx
RPI
Troy, NY