Force Sensors Must Measure Acceleration??

On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, Bob Sciamanda wrote:

One of my bathroom scales registers the compression of a spring, which
responds to a force, not an acceleration. Another of my scales
registers the elongation of a strain gauge, which responds to a force,
not an acceleration.

Even a hanging pendulum (or tethered helium balloon) repond to
accelerations through intermediary
forces (I hasten to add: "as viewed and understood from a Newtonian
inertial frame".) Whew! Hope
that avoided some flames :)
-Bob Sciamanda

This came in before the change in subject line, so I hope it's OK to
include it as the first vote in the poll.

A. R. Marlow E-MAIL: marlow@beta.loyno.edu
Department of Physics, Box 124 PHONE: (504) 865 3647 (Office)
Loyola University 865 2245 (Home)
New Orleans, LA 70118 FAX: (504) 865 2453