Re: Another camera question

I think some details have been left out. This should work:
1) photograph the Fourier Transform of "dog"
2) place a transparency of this in the Fourier plane (usually the
focal plane) of a lens which is imaging a page of text.
3) the result should be a filtering which enhances the (spatial) spectral
components of the word "dog.

Having done this kind of work many years ago I can say with some confidence
that this will not do much to highlight dog and god. The power spectum of
this text has much more to do with the fact that there are 3 letters, the
thickness of the lines that make the letters, and the edge sharpness of the
the letters, and the size and spacing of the letters than it does on what the
letters are.

Some recent optics books give photographical samples of such "Fourier Optics"
work. If interested, I can get specific references.

I'm interested if it isn't too much trouble.

Bob Sciamanda sciamanda@edinboro.edu
Dept of Physics
Edinboro Univ of PA http://www.edinboro.edu/~sciamanda/home.html