Re: Work/Energy theorem ?

On Fri, 4 Apr 1997 SCIAMANDA@edinboro.edu wrote:

What is the train rider to make of the coincidence that these
gravitational fields always appear when (and only when) the engineer
applies the brakes or the accelerator?

The same general kind of thing that you or I make of the coincidence that
what we mistakenly (but very usefully!) call a "gravitational field"
appears only when we resist the local orders of space-time to behave
inertially, (i.e., to fall) by allowing ourselves to be supported by
something!

But seriously, I think you've missed my main point if you are really
distracted by the fact that the train's acceleration relative to the earth
can be turned on and off. All I am saying is that the observer in the
train can make *perfect* sense of the tree's change in KE by invoking the
principle of equivalence. Surely this is a noncontroversial point in the
waning years of the twentieth century. Isn't it?

John
A. John Mallinckrodt email: mallinckrodt@csupomona.edu
Professor of Physics voice: 909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax: 909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768 office: Building 8, Room 223
web: http://www.sci.csupomona.edu/~mallinckrodt/