Re: reflections on a neglected problem

On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, John D. Sample wrote:

You guys took the problem a level higher than it was intended (and made it
more interesting in the process). Since the question asked for the "final
velocities" I assumed the charges were of the same sign. I had not solved
even that problem when I posted it, but since then came up with a
"solution". Unfortunately the algebraic expression probably can't be
solved analytically so a numerical method has to be used. At that point I
wondered whether a brute force numerical solution to the eqns of motion
would have been just as good!

Chip,

Do I read you correctly as saying that you have actually integrated the
equations of motion and obtained an algebraic expression relating the
final velocities to the charges and masses? If so, I'd be interested in