Re: Capacitor problem, another question

I should think that the "missing" energy has been radiated. As the
charges re-distribute themselves from the originally "fully-charged"
capacitor into the formally un-charged capacitor, they briefly form a
current. If there is resistance in the connecting wires, it is easy to
see that the energy would be dissipated as heat in the wires. If there
is no resistance in the wires, then generated magnetic fields created
from the current would become non-negligible. The wires have some
inductance, hence the current builds "momentum" and we would have an LC
oscillator. My thoughts obviously evolve as I write this. The energy
has gone into LC oscillations. If the capacitors and and connecting
wires are superconductors, then the LC oscillations should last forever,
eventually radiating E-M waves.

Donald F. Collins
Physics Department Warren Wilson College Asheville, NC 28815
(704) 298-3325 dcollins@warren-wilson.edu