Re: Capacitor problem

March 29, 1997

Seriously, more I think about these parallel plates less sure I am that
the e.m. radiation plays an important role in the equilibration process.
Was this ever verified experimentally? What happens when the "wires" are
extremly short, for example, two pairs of plates (already extremly close)
making a simultaneous contact? The charges are redistributed (deluted) on
each plate. This means current and heat inside each plate. That is what
I would now expect to be the main "energy sink".

Presumably, we are talking about capacitors for which the fringe effects
are negligible and |Q1|=|Q2|. This means all charges are on inner surfaces.
Why should the magnetic field be generated outside the plates? I know this
is gedanken-ing againg and once again I am asking if anybody recalls seeing
a reference to an experimental verification of the presence of e.m. waves
from parallel capacitors?

If not then those of you who work with graduate students (we do not have
this luxury at Montclair State University) have a good research project
at hands. The equipment you have (large high voltage capacitors, antenas,
amplifiers, scopes), is infinitely better than what Hertz had more than
a century ago. And, above all, you know what you are trying to prouve or
to disprouve.
: Gedanken-ing is not enough, physics is an experimental science! :

Hey, I finally created a logo for my signature file. Ludwik Kowalski