Re: Capacitor problem

29 Mar 1997 09:38:13
From: inet@intellisys.net (brian whatcott)

Department of Needless Conflict:

I find questions in the category of "What happens when an irresistable
force meets an unmoveable object" to be ultimately unhelpful.

You are wrong Brian. Your answer forced me to realize that separated
plates also have L, wires just add to it. Thanks. Assuming I am not the
only one who just "discovered" this possibility I would like to ask you to
elaborate. Try not to "overpower" us; stay at the level of an introductory
physics course to maximize the usefulness of your contribution.

You also ask:
Who can contradict me if I say there is a burst of x-rays when I finally
reduce L to zero?

A REAL EXPERIMENT WILL. Altimately physics is an experimental science.

Good question. The plates come closer and closer so that C goes up while
L goes down. We need a mathematician to figure out how the waves frequency
will behave in the limit. Why were you thinking about x-rays?
Ludwik Kowalski