RE: How many volts ?

Donald E. Simanek sugested:

Perhaps someone (John?) should restate the problem and its solution in
polished form with all the necessary insights

It is a very good idea. I will be glad to e-mail a file with all messages
of this thread (without headers and excessive repetitions) to anybody who
will be willing to undertake the task.

He also suggests that
... we can close this epsode and move on to something completely new.

I see nothing wrong in continuation of a thread, even when the issues
involved are no longer the same as originally stated. The effect of
distance on the potential difference was not part of this problem but
what is wrong with discussing it? The same goes for the charge density
distributions, and for their distance-dependence.

It's unclear to me whether some people are disagreeing with the solution,
or the method for obtaining it, or perhaps some didn't understand it.

What difference does it make? They think about messages, present their
points of view, their ways of reasonning and, yes, discover their own
limitations. That is learning. I benefit a lot from exchanges of ideas
on Phys-L, even when I do not understand everything. Threads die
naturally when nobody is responding.
Ludwik Kowalski