Re: How many volts ?

Two of my messages did not make it this afternoon. I am reposting them.
This is the first one, after adding some sentences.

Sure the field lines are perpedicular to the surface at the origin. But
this is not an argument that they must go from plate to plate along the
shortest path. My hair also start growing perpendicularly to the skin.
Some lines can bend and go to infinity. It would be a lot of them without
induced charges considered by John. It makes sens to expect lines going to
infinity originate on the outer sides of plates. But why should this be
the only possibility? Which fundamental laws would be violated if a large
fraction of lines going to infinity (due to the big difference betwee the
net charges (-10 and +100 nC) were actually originating on the inner
surfaces?
Ludwik Kowalski