Re: How many volts ?

On Mon, 24 Mar 1997, Mark Shapiro wrote:

I agree with John's answer, but I arrived at it using a slightly
different line of reasoning....

The 100 nC charge will spread equally over both surfaces of one
plate, while the -10 nC charge will spread equally over both surfaces of
the other plate. Thus the surface charge density on one plate will be 50
C/m^2 and -5C/m^2 on the other. Using superposition, the E field between
the plates is 55 C/m^2/epsilon0, ignoring edge effects. Integrating this
field from one plate to the other gives the potential difference (62.1 V).

Just a point of clarification: This analysis gets the field between the
plates right as will *any* assumed distribution of the charges on the
plates. But the field between the plates requires +/-55 nC on the inner
surfaces and, therefore, +45 nC on each outer surface. Furthermore, only
*this* distribution gives E = 0 within the plates.

John
A. John Mallinckrodt email: mallinckrodt@csupomona.edu
Professor of Physics voice: 909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax: 909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768 office: Building 8, Room 223
web: http://www.sci.csupomona.edu/~mallinckrodt/