Rick

From: John Mallinckrodt <ajmallinckro@CSUPomona.Edu>
To: phys-l@atlantis.cc.uwf.edu

Assuming that you can make the standard infinite sheets approximation,
there would be +45 nC on the outer surfaces of both sheets, +55 nC on the
inner surface of one and -55 nC on the inner surface of the other. The
field inside would not depend on the charges on the outer surfaces, so
the
result is that of a capacitor charged with 55 nC and the potential
difference would be 62 V.

This is a result of applying Gauss' law and using the condition that E =
0
inside the plates. In essence you have a 110 nC *difference* which leads
to the "55 nC total charge" result and a 90 nC *excess* which must be
shared equally between the outer plates of both capacitors.

John
A. John Mallinckrodt email: mallinckrodt@csupomona.edu
Professor of Physics voice: 909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax: 909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768 office: Building 8, Room 223
web: http://www.sci.csupomona.edu/~mallinckrodt/