Re: What keeps clouds up?

On Sun, 23 Mar 1997, David Bowman wrote:

I didn't quite follow all of Leigh's post on the falling cloud problem. I
did not see Hewitt's TPT explanation so I'm not sure what you are objecting
to. Did Hewitt neglect the role of evaporation at the cloud base or what?

Here's Hewitt's answer. (His question was in my previous message):

The presence of clouds has to do with updrafts and small terminal
speeds of falling droplets. A typical cumulus cloud is in the region of
updraft speeds of at least 1 m/s -- more than the terminal speed of
typical droplets and more than enough to support the droplets. But
even for a cloud in no updraft, the droplets drift so slowly out of the
bottom of the cloud, and evaporate so quickly, that they have little
chance of reaching the earth. They're replaced by new droplets forming
above.
Raindrops are huge compared with typical cloud droplets. Their
terminal speed is greater than the speed of most updrafts and they
indeed fall from the cloud -- and they evaporate slowly enough to reach
the ground.

William Beaty voice:206-781-3320 bbs:206-789-0775 cserv:71241,3623
EE/Programmer/Science exhibit designer http://www.eskimo.com/~billb/
Seattle, WA 98117 billb@eskimo.com SCIENCE HOBBYIST web page