Re: Singing pipes

At 09:53 PM 3/19/97 -0500, you wrote:

Yes - we don't use a wire mesh or a newspaper, rather insert a Meeker
burner into the pipe. We have a set of oversized cardboard mailing tubes,
and one large carpet roller which shakes the building when we fire it off!

Could you give me some more information on how you do this. I am not
seeing the picture. Do you use the cardboard tubes as your pipes? Do you
still put wire mesh inthetube?

Crude attempt at ascii art to follow:

Slowly lower vertical tube over meeker burner

| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
^^^

You'll hear the tube start to "sing" at some point, adjust for maximum
volume by gently raising or lowering the tube:

| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| ^^^ |
| ||| |
| ||| |

It works sometimes with Bunsen burner or with propane torch, but Meeker
burner gives consistent results.

Department of Physics * *
Randolph-Macon College * And so some day, *
P.O. Box 5005 * The mighty ramparts of the mighty universe *
Ashland, VA 23005-5505 * Ringed round with hostile force *
* Will yield and face decay *
phone: (804) 752-7344 * and come crumbling to ruin. *
FAX: (804) 752-4724 * - Lucretius, De Rerum Natura *