chladni plates

I was wondering if someone could assist me. We are currently
covering waves and I've been trying to get a chlandi plate to work. I've
put the plate above a speaker, which is connected to a wave generator. I
can get some vibrations in the plate, but nothing to great. I've tried a
wide variety of plates and wavelengths, but I'm still getting poor to no
results. I know many times this demo is done with violin bow strings,
but I've also heard of using speakers. My guess is that maybe my
amplitude is to low.
Also, I showed my students a picture of the "quiet room", the
room where there is very little sound reflection from the wedge shaped
material that is all over the room. Does anyone know what type of
material they are using? Any chance I can get some for my underclassmen
study hall? Or better yet, a large enough speaker to generate a complete
destructive interference for the entire room. :^)

Dwight
dsouder@juno.com