Re: Work/Energy Theorem

Hi Bob,

You wrote:
"The word "work" is defined as the left hand side of the Work-Energy
theorem (at least for me). When that theorem is applied to a single
particle, the work done by a force is the force integrated over the
displacement of the particle."

It seems to me that the word "work" is best defined not in terms of
the net force acting on the particle but in terms of an individual force.
The work done by a single force is then defined as the force integrated
over the displacement of its point of application the particle. Then the
work energy theorem statement becomes "the sum of the works done by all the
forces acting on a particle equals the particle's kinetic-energy change.

With this definition of work the sum of the works done by all the
forces on a system is the same work that appears in the first law of
thermodynamics.

Gene

Eugene (Gene) P. Mosca Phone 410-293-6659 (Fax 3729)
Physics Department 410-267-0144 Home
572 Holloway Road 610-683-3597 Summer
U.S.Naval Academy Mailstop 9C, Michelson Rm 339
Annapolis MD 21402 email: mosca@nadn.navy.mil