Re: Radio waves...

Amplitude or frequency may be modulated (but all the best music comes
in on frequency modulation). For FM, then, the wavelength does not
remain constant which is part of the reason why you need a band of
wavelengths assigned to an FM station, not just a single one. The one
listed on your dial is what the station would transmit as a dead
signal. *Something* has to change in order to transmit information.

Greetings everyone! A student asked a question about radio waves
that I wasn't to sure about. The students were figuring out the
wavelengths and frequency of their favorite radio stations. A student
asked if the wavelengths remain the same, then how is the signal
transmitted so that it includes the information that we hear.
The way I understand the question is that, for example, when
people talk, we fluctuate the wavelengths and amplitude in such a way
that it forms the words we hear. If a DJ is talking (or music is
playing), what would the radio waves look like so that they transmit the
sounds.
My response to the student was that I believe the amplitudes my
fluctuate which is responsible for transmitting the signal, but I would
check. Am I right or wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dwight

Paul J. Camp "The Beauty of the Universe
Assistant Professor of Physics consists not only of unity
Coastal Carolina University in variety but also of
Conway, SC 29528 variety in unity.
pjcamp@coastal.edu --Umberto Eco
pjcamp@postoffice.worldnet.att.net The Name of the Rose
(803)349-2227