elementary demos

On March 8 Dwight K. Souder wrote:
Our school's elementary had asked me to have my students come over and
present the elementary students with some hands-on science demos. My
students will be going into 1st - 3rd grade classes and will be in there
for about 1 hour. Can anyone offer some advice? Can anyone offer some
science demos that are safe, interesting, and don't require any "special"
equipment?

1) An electromagnet based on a D battery. Use a big nail as a core and at
least 50 coils of thin isolated wire.
2) A simple telescope from two lenses, for example, f1=30 cm (objective)
and f2=5 cm (eyepiece).
3) Measuring the "half-time" of cooling. For example, the same amount of
hot water in a big cup and in a flat plate. Teach them how to organize
data into a table and how to describe them clearly with words (writing
a report with a picture?).

Ludwik Kowalski