electric bulges

David Bowman's phrase, " ... any response at the astronomonical driving
frequency.. " prompted me to think that electricity can perhaps provide
some analogies for tides. Consider a negatively charged metallic sphere.
The uniformly distributed electrons represent an "ocean". You bring a
positive charge into its vicinity and a single "bulge" of electrons is
created. Bring a third positive charge into this region and you have a
system "driven" by two sources. Is it a useful analogy?

Or consider a metallic sphere which is initially neutral. We can create
two bulges (+ and -) by electrostaitic induction. Nothing profound, just
trying to share my thoughts.
Ludwik Kowalski

He ends by saying "...and devote my time to more productive things."

A common dilemma. But messages which promote thinking ARE VERY productive.