Servers

Our department is considering networking the 12 computers we have in offices
and labs and adding a server to handle transfer of programs and files more
efficiently. Can anyone out there give us tips on what kind of server,
cost, problems associated with maintaining server, etc. and just general
pitfalls to avoid?

We are a four person department with relatively few majors but a large
service component. We use the computers in the laboratory extensively for
data acquisition. None of us has any extensive experience in computers
other than what is casually picked up as a generic physics teacher and our
technical support on campus is understaffed, overworked, etc.

Jim Riley, Department of Physics
Drury College
900 N Benton Ave.
Springfield, MO 65802