Re: Bulges

At 04:08 PM 3/5/97 -0800, you wrote:

My one question would be this: are tide tables constructed by this new
technique better than tide tables constructed in the old way? I realize
that performing a fourier transform is no more computationally difficult
than doing a harmonic synthesis, but is it in any way better? It does
seem that there is a certain rationality in discarding terms that arise
from noise (weather and seismic activity), and this can be done if one
has other prior knowledge such as astronomical information. What is the
advantage of discarding information?

Leigh

Leigh, et al., There are dozens of tide models -- each one manipulates the
data differently. None of them are globally accurate -- NOAA's won't work
in Alaska for example (unless they have patched it up recently) -- I confess
that I am tiring of the tide thing for this year, (Yes, I know I started it
this time, but I really thought it was just an innocent question about
Newton) -- but if anyone wants to pursue these models further, I will dredge
up a list and/or a WWW site or two on the subject. Besides David Bowman has
privately damaged my speed-of-ocean-waves arguments, so I need to go back to
the drawing board anyway. (:-)

We haven't talked about "mass-is-converted-to-energy for a while (:-)

Jim Green

What do you get when you cross a crooked politician with a dishonest lawyer?