Re: SI Units

I find it interesting that the 14th General Conference on Weights and
Measure found it necessary to define the mole as the amount of substance
of a system which contains as many elementary entities as there are atoms
in "0.012 kilograms" of carbon-12.

I have a text, Fundamentals of Classical Thermodynamics, 4th Ed., Wylan,
Sonntag, and Borgnakke, that refers to kilogram moles (kilomoles) and even
pound moles (pound mass moles).

I just have to remind myself that whenever the unit "mole" or its
abbreviation (symbol) "mol" appear without other prefixes or qualifiers,
that it is what I would call a "gram mole" and it is the 6.022x10^23
Avogadro's number.

Joe D. Darling jdarling@emh1.otc.cc.mo.us
Instructor of Physics and Physical Science
Ozarks Technical Community College
815 North Sherman Avenue Springfield, MO 65802
(417) 895-7295 (417) 895-7249 FAX