Re: Bulges

"Non-rotational bulges" are not symmetrical, reflecting the profile of the
gravitational force gradient. The additions due to the centrifugal forces
make the bulges symmetrical. This point usually is not mentioned by many
books, probably for the sake of simplicity, which could be understood.

Now *there's* an interesting new piece of info for this thread. I
suspected the two effects might combine to tend toward symmetry, but
haven't yet had time to sit down to do the messy math. The field gradient
effect would cause a bulge greater on the lunar side of the earth. The
centrifugal effect would distort the equatorial bulge more on the opposite
side. Does this make the resulting two-bulge shape close to symmetrical,
or exactly symmetrical. If *exactly*, that's astounding, and *very*
interesting.

-- Donald

It is so qualitatively. And the factual result we all know: the
buldges are almost equal. I think it is quite sufficient in a conceptually
oriented presentation, just to satisfy the human curiousity in "the first
approximation". As far as I know, the credit for this understanding should
be given to Ernst Mach.

Igal.