Re: The worm problem (and ambiguity)

Now that the substance of the worm problem has been dealt with, it
seems to be serving as a launching point for a new discussion of
the pros and cons of ambiguity in problem statements. I think
this should be an interesting thread, but I object on behalf of
Leigh to the characterization of his problem satetment as
ambiguous. Beyond the simple fact, as Ludwik has noted, that the
problem is manifestly trivial under the only misinterpretation
that I can imagine, Leigh went on in his problem statement to show
explicitly the results of the first few rope stretches:

"At the end of one second the worm has marched one centimeter
toward the other end of the rope. At that instant he is
instantaneously transported to the 2 centimeter mark on a rope
which is now two kilometers in length. By calculation you will
see that at the end of the second second he will be three
centimeters along his way on the two kilometer rope, which will
then lengthen to three kilometers, taking the worm to the 4.5
cm point, etc."

I submit that there are only two possible results of reading the
entire statement with care: (1) An unambiguous understanding of
the situation or (2) general confusion leading to a mis--and not
an alternate--interpretation.

John
A. John Mallinckrodt email: mallinckrodt@csupomona.edu
Professor of Physics voice: 909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax: 909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768 office: Building 8, Room 223
web: http://www.sci.csupomona.edu/~mallinckrodt/