Re: Computers

I guess I ought to let on that the problem with the Macintosh is that
it is as addictive as tobacco. Since someone else let on that he has
been using computers for a long time, let me hang my experience out
for comparison. I've been using computers continuously since I was an
undergraduate at Cal in 1956. The first computer I ever used, a home
computer (!), is on display in the Smithsonian. That machine used an
idiolect (called Intercom 500) and my roommate programmed it for me
to reduce a rather large quantity of Millikan oil drop data I had
taken in my lab course. From there I went through the Fortrans and
many machines, more home computers in the 70s, until 1984 when I
discovered the Macintosh. I've been an addict ever since. I spent
eight months in Cambridge in 94-95 in a part of the Cavendish where
there are no working Macs. I had to make do with eunuchs* for that
period, on very nice Sun workstations, but I could feel the
withdrawal. Fortunately my wife spent that time in the Chemistry
Department and on weekends I could go in to get a brief Mac fix.

I loved Cambridge; there has been no happier period in my life, but
when I came home to my Mac (which had its internal battery die while
I was away) I felt I had renewed my relationship with my connection.

Perhaps this will explain Macvangelism to Paul and others so bemused
by it. We are true believers, I'm afraid.

Leigh

*During that period I also used a PC running Linux which was in one
of the grad students' offices. I haven't asked Apple for absolution;
I may not be in a state of grace. Hell for me will have a DOS
interface.