Re: Mysterious electric current ! (fwd)

On 25 Feb 1997 Donald E. Simanek wrote:

On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, Mark Sylvester wrote:

Then while switching the leads I momentarily had both croc clips
on the same vessel, and there was a good microamp flowing, and the
answer was clear before my eyes: thermocouple. My hot hand was
setting up a sufficient temperature gradient for the chrome plated
croc clips on the copper to generate the current.

Then you tried it again using cloth gloves on both hands and
compared results, right? Then using copper wire and copper cups?

-- Donald

Not entirely sure of the smiley content here, but, no, I didn't do
all those other experiments. I *did* touch a croc clip directly just
to check that the deflection changed significantly. It did. The point
is that when you are looking at a circuit where two croc clips
are firmly clamped to a lump of copper, and they are making an emf,
then it can really be nothing else but a thermocouple. All the
electrochemistry that the original poster was thinking about goes out
of the window.

Donald did make me think further about where the relevant thrmocouple
junctions are, and I realised that the copper vessels could be
disposed of as well. It goes Copper (wire) to whatever the shiny
plating on the croc clips is and then back to copper on the vessel,
or the other copper wire, if we simply join the two clips together.
Joining them in this way gives several microamps when I touch the end
of a clip where the wire is attached. Thus, with the copper vessels
colder than the wires, we have two thermocouples back-to-back, with
the emf dependent on the temp difference between the vessels, while
we pour water back and forth, clasping them. No wonder it's so hard
to get any consistent results when you're thinking it's an
electrochemical phenomenon.

Btw, am I correct in assuming that there's nothing like a Seebeck
effect in the Cu - electrolyte - Cu part of the circuit?

Mark.

Mark Sylvester, UWCAd, Duino, Trieste, Italy.
msylvest@spin.it tel: +39 40 3739 255