Re: Use of Calculators

On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, Doug Craigen wrote:

all your class notes, textbook etc, or having the proctor do whatever they
wish to make sure the memory is truly clear. Any incidental damage to
your intellectual property is your own fault. If you choose to pay to
have a lawyer tell you so, that's your choice.

I would choose to have my lawyer raise as many issues as I could with the
administration, school board, parents organization and local newspapers.
This would then lead to lots of publicity and we all know that
administrative types love publicity. District wide policy committees
would have to meet and discuss. The teachers union would want to get
involved.
"Progressive" teachers (as they would be identified in the newspaper)
would tsk tsk over the draconian measures taken by the offending teacher.
Those who believe that "technology will save the schools" will have a
field day with this example. Of course the students will say that they
never heard anything about not being able to use their programmable
calculators until they were torn from their hands and the memory smashed
into nothingness.
It will be fun