Re: INNUMERACY, was Re: Use of Calculators

At 12:40 PM on 2/25/97, <phys-l@mailer.uwf.edu> wrote:

No one has mentioned the most pervasive calculator error students make.
In their rush to punch numbers into their calculations they often forget
to use ther calculators' memories. It is commonplace to see a student
crank out an intermediate result in a problem, round it off and write it
down, and then punch in the rounded value later on in the problem.

The solution to this is obvious, but it is steadfastly resisted by many.

Leigh

Yes, I'd estimate the "many" are well over 90%.

Another pervasive problem occurs whenever a given value is a simple power
of 10. A large minority will enter "10 EE 12" when given 10^12.

And speaking of calculators, a moment ago one of my students complained
that he can't finish a test problem because he can't find the inverse log
button on his calculator. But I guess this isn't really a calculator
problem.

Chip