Re: Programmable Calculator Policies

I'm still reading the comments on this subject, but I thought I'd
send out my preliminary response. I'm always asked by students if
there are limitations to what kind of calculator they can use on exams.
The ones with fancy programmable machines often have a glint in their
eyes, because they believe those calculators give them an advantage.
I tell them I don't care what kind of calculator they use. The exams
consist of much more than simple numerical problems--there are
"derivations", problems couched entirely in symbols (no numbers), and
questions requiring explanations instead of symbolic or numerical
calculations. What's more, problems requiring calculations must have
all the work shown--no credit is given simply for writing the final
answer, even if it happens to be correct. Everyone is allowed to bring
a 3"x5" index card to the exam with the only limitation being that the
card can't contain solutions to problems and must be turned in with the
exam. With all these requirements, the fancy calculators don't seem
to help much because the calculators can't read and then answer the
exam questions.

Steve Luzader
Frostburg State University