INNUMERACY, was Re: Use of Calculators

At 06:35 PM 2/24/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi Physics Phriends,
>
>INNUMERACY:
>Of course, when I'm feeling mischievous at a particularly slow cashier, I
>wait until the register says that the change is $2.63 when I give her/him a
>10 dollar bill for a $7.37 purchased.  Then I say, oh, here's 37 cents.
>Talk about INNUMERACY.
>
>Bye, DiRT

-----
>David  R. Thiessen                         FUN + PHYSICS = PHUN
>Science Department                          PHYSICS IS PHUN !!
>Deerfield High School
>1959 North Waukegan Road              Education increases your freedom
>Deerfield, IL 60015                   Because It Increases Your Options !!
>Home phone (815) 337-2883
>School phone (708) 405-8488           Education will enrich your life
>Voice Mail (708) 374-3811 then *610   Even if it doesn't enhance your
income !!
>School Fax (708) 945-0970
>                                      Remember when students brought teachers
>                                      Apples instead of driving them
bananas ??

>dthiessn@nslsilus.org                 (Quote sources long forgotten)
-----

INNUMERACY - I went to the store with a handful of coupons - most of them
"normal" - 50 cents off, etc, but one gaot me 10% off the TOTAL purchase.

The cashier had no idea why I wanted the 10% off rung up PRIOR to all the
cents off coupons credited.

Richard M. Langer                  Gateway High School,
Physics Teacher                    5101 McRee Ave.
rlanger@dtd1.slps.k12.mo.us        St. Louis, MO 63110