Calculator Decision

With two upcoming exams in introductory courses I had to make a
decision on the level of calculator that I would permit.... My decision
ended up being based more on the demographics of our students than any
other factor. Since we are a large, urban, comprehensive university we
have a very diverse student body. Some students can afford - and have
purchased "top of the line" programmable, graphing calculators...while
others can barely afford a basic nonprogrammable scientific model selling
for under $20. I felt that I have an obligation to make the exam
conditions as fair as possible for all the students, so I have restricted
them to the use of basic nonprogrammable models. I also allow them to
bring one 3" by 5" note card (very cheap random access memory!)

Mark

Dr. Mark H. Shapiro
Physics Department
California State University, Fullerton