RE: appropriate use of calculators

On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, JACK L. URETSKY (C) 1996; HEP DIV., ARGONNE NATIONAL LAB, ARGONNE, IL 60439 wrote:

computer) solution to a "hard problem" I spend a lot of time worrying
about whether it is worth while to embark on a numerical solution.
The worrying requires estimation - usually on a blackboard in a
discussion with someone. I find it disheartening when, in such a
discussion, a post-doc has to run for a calculator for aid in making
simple numerical estimates.

Some of us find it disheartening when a fossil continues to waste
processor capacity and memory space to do these types of calculations when
a little instruction could teach them how to use 20th century tools like
the calculator.