Use of Calculators

Hi Physics Phriends,

I don't worry too much about formulas plugged into calculators because I
try to give conceptually based exams rather than plug and chug type.
However, last week I did something in one class just for fun: After
handing out the exams but before giving them permission to start, I ended
up at the back of the room. With their backs facing me, I announced,
"During the exam, I'm going to come around and check your calculator for
formulas AND I KNOW HOW TO GET AROUND THE MEMORY CLEARED MESSAGE." Then I
watched with a smirk on my face while at least one-half of the class
started playing with buttons on their TI-XX's.

As far as I know (AND PLEASE CORRECT ME if I'm wrong), the Mem Cleared
message is left on the screen for the teacher to see when s/he turns on the
calculator and the programs can still be accessed with the PRGM key. Of
course, one sometimes has to scroll all the way down to find the physics
formulas.

Speaking of formulas, have you ever checked for formulas simply written in
pencil on the inside of the removeable cover case? You'll be surprised as
to what you'll see there. Two years ago, an AP Physics "C" student left
his calculator on the empty desk beside his after an electrostatics exam.
Wanting to return it to the owner, I looked for a name. Inside the cover
were all the formulas written on top of eraser marks underneath which one
could see Periodic Motion formulas from the last Mechanics unit. I video
taped a close-up of this case (still have it) and wrote up a CRS to the
dean and (bleeding heart) associate principal to whom academic honesty
questions were to be addressed. With parents, Ass. principal, Dept. Chair,
student, and myself present, he swore up and down that the formulas were
there only for study purposes and that he never looked at them during the
test. I was asked if I had seen the student look at the formulas during
the exam, I honestly said, "NO" The case was dismissed with the student
being admonished to avoid the appearance of wrong-doing. He is now at the
U.S. Naval Academy. In fact, that was the parents main concern, that his
getting caught cheating would jeopardized his admission to the Academy.
Our Ass. Principal always wants to make an academic honesty confrontation a
positive learning experience for the person involved. Many teachers don't
even bother anymore.

INNUMERACY: One of my annual favorites. After throwing a tennis ball
horizontally at increasing speeds to show them that the landing point
distance increases and the "curvature" of the path decreases with
increasing speed, I have them calculate how much the earth curves away from
the horizontal for each horizontal mile using the Pythagorean theorem. I
draw a diagram on the board and set up the numbers. Then I call out, "OK,
to get the hypotenuse,you want the square root of 4000 squared plus one
squared..." And then I pause and watch virtually the entire class square
ONE. Then I ask, "Why did so many of you square the number one?" Of
course, it's my fault for calling "one squared".

Of course, when I'm feeling mischievous at a particularly slow cashier, I
wait until the register says that the change is $2.63 when I give her/him a
10 dollar bill for a $7.37 purchased. Then I say, oh, here's 37 cents.
Talk about INNUMERACY.

Bye, DiRT

David R. Thiessen FUN + PHYSICS = PHUN
Science Department PHYSICS IS PHUN !!
Deerfield High School
1959 North Waukegan Road Education increases your freedom
Deerfield, IL 60015 Because It Increases Your Options !!
Home phone (815) 337-2883
School phone (708) 405-8488 Education will enrich your life
Voice Mail (708) 374-3811 then *610 Even if it doesn't enhance your income !!
School Fax (708) 945-0970
Remember when students brought teachers
Apples instead of driving them bananas ??

dthiessn@nslsilus.org (Quote sources long forgotten)