Re: Programmable Calculator Policies

The Advanced Placement people have changed their examination to more
conceptually based. They now allow almost any type of calculator except
those with a qwerty keyboard. They include the equations in the fomr of
an equation sheet with the problem portion of the exam.

There idea and I heartily agree with them is that what needs to be
tested is understanding and application rather than memorization and
plug-in to equations. It makes writing examination more difficult
because you are not writing to get back "factoids" but testing for
application. I like it.

In my physics classes, both regular and AP, I permit the students to
have one 3 x 5 note card and any calculator that fits within the AP
criteria.

Let's face it, if you need an equation you can't remember you look it
up. If you use a relationship long enough you know it. Why require
memorization?

Ray Rogoway, Independence High School, San Jose.