Re: string vibrators needed

I have been using the Pasco wigglers for 3 years now. They are
essentially a long throw speaker with a piston attached. You drive
them using a function generator and amplifier (I use a cheap amp from
Radio Shack and some handmade cables). It works wonderfully well and
since you can vary the frequency, you have the possibility of a large
number of additional experments that you couldn't do with the old
tuning fork jobs. The only caveat I would mention is that the string
that comes with the device stretches like crazy -- most of the time
you would want to substitute something like braided nylon.

Hello friends,
I have a few old but wonderful Sargent Welch string vibratirs for a wave
lab. They vibrated at only one frequency (120) but we could change the
tension in the string and produce different standing waves.
I need more of them but SW no longer carries them as the manufacturer has
quit business. Does anyone have a good model they could recommend?
Thank you for your help.

Paul J. Camp "The Beauty of the Universe
Assistant Professor of Physics consists not only of unity
Coastal Carolina University in variety but also of
Conway, SC 29528 variety in unity.
pjcamp@coastal.edu --Umberto Eco
pjcamp@postoffice.worldnet.att.net The Name of the Rose
(803)349-2227