Re: string vibrators needed

At 07:40 PM 2/20/97 -0600, you wrote:
Hello friends,
I have a few old but wonderful Sargent Welch string vibratirs for a wave
lab. They vibrated at only one frequency (120) but we could change the
tension in the string and produce different standing waves.
I need more of them but SW no longer carries them as the manufacturer has
quit business. Does anyone have a good model they could recommend?
Thank you for your help.

We have used a small light rod glued to a loudspeaker cone to drive stings
in a similar experiment. You need a cheap oscillator to drice the
loudspeakers, but then you can vary the frequency.

Regards, Patrick.

Patrick Whippey EMail: pwhippey@julian.uwo.ca
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy Fax: 519-661-2033
University of Western Ontario Tel: 519-661-2111 x 6431
London Ontario Canada N6A 3K7