Re: SOHO orbit

Ken,
There are five Lagrange points. The most obvious being the point
being the one on the line joining the centers of the objects where the force
of gravity is the equal and oppsite so it cancles out. This point (L1) as
you imply is unstable, but two of the Lagrangian points (L4, L5) are stable.
They are found at the apexes of the two equlaterial triangles that can be
formed using the line between the bodies as a base. A little geometry show
they share the same orbit as the earth, but are 60 degrees in front and
behind the earth.
I hope this helps clear up the confusion.
Gary