Re: borrowing from tomorrow/logic

----------
Subject: borrowing from tomorrow
Date: Wednesday, February 19, 1997 11:39 AM

On February 19 Dewey Dykstra wrote:

I'm wondering exactly whose logic and whose continuity is entailed in
this
logical continuity. I know that I and many others for many years
(decades?
centuries even?) have attempted to use this principle, but it does not
seem
to be all that effectve at least in terms of changes in student
understanding. I wonder if our logic and our continuity is not what's
called for here.

Please elaborate on your last sentence. Ludwik Kowalski

I suspect what Dewey is suggesting is that the kind of 'mathematical logic'
that physicists tend to use to go from A to B to C may not be efficacious
in the education of many of our students. The alternative (as I understand
it) is that by having students carefully explore a given topic and
construct their understanding of such and within a framework of their 'own
logic' they can get from A to B whereas they cannot through our 'preaching'
of 'our' logic.

My question is: accepting that students can make it from A to B through the
constructivist process, can they make it from B to C without 'our' kind of
logic and without the time consuming construction process? It seems to me
that we take our fundamental conceptual understanding of a few concepts and
build much more complex understanding THROUGH the application of such
logic. Do the students who make it from A to B through a variety of
personalized mental routes have the tools to go from B to C with 'their'
tools (in an efficient manner)?

Rick