Re: Bad Science?

At 08:42 AM 2/17/97 -0600, you wrote:
I was wondering if anyone else happen to be
watching the network movie, Astroid, last night -
in which they burst apart (in a very short time period)
a substantial Astroid, which was
apparently thousands (?) of miles from Earth
using two lasers mounted on jets, firing from
within our atmosphere. Unless I'm way behind
on technology, don't we have real problems with
energy requirements, targeting, attenuation, etc.?

If that was the only error I could live with it - "rubber science" is a
feature of Star Trek, too. After all, these were top secret weapons systems!

Did you happen to notice the "astronomers" working with a telescope set up
in the middle of a well-lit room? Or the implication that a comet knocked
these asteroids into earth-crossing orbits without suffering any deflection
itself? Or the roaring noise these things make in vacuum? Or the flooding
of Kansas City by taking out a huge up-river dam? (I used to live there,
and don't recall the Hoover Dam being that close! :) )

Makes tonights channel choices somewhat easier!

Department of Physics * *
Randolph-Macon College * And so some day, *
P.O. Box 5005 * The mighty ramparts of the mighty universe *
Ashland, VA 23005-5505 * Ringed round with hostile force *
* Will yield and face decay *
phone: (804) 752-7344 * and come crumbling to ruin. *
FAX: (804) 752-4724 * - Lucretius, De Rerum Natura *