Re: Bad Science in "Asteroid"

I was wondering if anyone else happen to be
watching the network movie, Astroid, last night -
in which they burst apart (in a very short time period)
a substantial Astroid, which was
apparently thousands (?) of miles from Earth
using two lasers mounted on jets, firing from
within our atmosphere. Unless I'm way behind
on technology, don't we have real problems with
energy requirements, targeting, attenuation, etc.?

Bob Foley
Physics Dept, UW-Stout
Menomonie, WI

I watched just enough to get a good laugh. I especially liked the
general's concern about how the laser beam would work in outer space since
it had only been designed for firing within the atmosphere.
I wonder if the bad acting is being addressed on another list...

Dennis

* Dennis E. Krause Phone: (413) 597-3306 *
* Department of Physics Fax: (413) 597-4116 *
* Williams College E-mail: dkrause@williams.edu *
* Williamstown, MA 01267 *
* http://www.williams.edu:803/Physics/dkrause/ *