Re: Motorcycle steering

On Wed, 5 Feb 1997, Ken Kiehlbauch wrote:

What happened next was a surprise to me. I rode the motorcycle for
about three miles, down two step hills, made three 90 degree right turns
and two 90 degree LEFT turns without ever realizing that the handle bars
could not be turned at all to the left.

Despite recent reminders that experiments always have the last word in
physics, allow me to say that I am--for simple geometrical reasons--highly
skeptical.

John
A. John Mallinckrodt email: mallinckrodt@csupomona.edu
Professor of Physics voice: 909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax: 909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768 office: Building 8, Room 223
web: http://www.sci.csupomona.edu/~mallinckrodt/