Bicycles

At the risk of showing ignorance, the discussion of bikes and gyros has
reminded me of a story on teaching my "not very athletic" daughter to ride
a bike.

She had a small ( strawberry shortcake) bike which was really too small and
the seat was too high. She could pedal well and still touch the ground when
at rest. However, I could not run fast enough for her to gain self
propelled stability. So we went to purchace the next size bike, larger
wheels and lower seat. She rode right away with just a brief push and a
comforting Dad running beside, for a while. The small bike remained a
mystery to her.

I have always attributed this success to a larger moment of inertia and
less of a moment arm for her wobbling weight. Am I wrong? That would make
me sad for then I would have lied to many students.

Ken Fox Physics stimulates the
Smoky Hill High School Imagination!
16100 Smoky Hill Rd
Aurora,CO.80015