Re: Heat Pumps...?

It sounds like the book is right, and that you have the right idea about
how AC should work, but are unclear about which processes occur in each of
the system components. Although I'm no expert on these systems, I hope the
following clarifies how they work.

The compressor takes LP cool gas and makes it HP hot gas. (Compressing it
makes it hot. It does *not* compress it into a liquid which would destroy
the compressor.) In the condensor, the freon gas gives up its heat of
vaporization either to the environment (for AC) or the room (heat pump) and
becomes hot HP liquid. Then the liquid passes through the capillary or
expansion valve and becomes LP liquid which rapidly begins to evaporate,
making it very cold. This liquid/gas mix passes into the heat exchanger
which allows the freon to absorb the heat to complete the evaporation. The
heat comes from the room in the case of AC or from the environment for a
heat pump. The result is LP gas which is returned to the compressor
completing the cycle.

J. D. Sample (501) 698-4625
Math-Physics Dept sample@lyon.edu
Lyon College