Vscope for Windows : upgrade problems!

Hi all,

I have been using a DOS version of Vscope motion detector system for years,
and it has become a vital part of our laboratory and demonstrations
activities. Now the DOS software has started to feel outdated, with no
mouse support, and inferior printing capabilities. More serious problem has
been the unability of the software to operate with new speedy 486 and
Pentium computers. To correct these problems, I ordered one complete new
version (hardware and software) of Vscope for Windows, plus an upgrade
Windows software for the old system. These have now arrived, and we are in
trouble. The windows software (ver 1.1) does not seem to work.

Specifications for the software are stated as to have 486 or better, and
Windows (no mention about version). We have tested the software & hardware
in a P133/win95/16 MB portable, and in a P166/win95/32 MB, a
P120/win3.11/16 MB and a 486/33/16 MB desktop: no luck. The software does
not detect Vscope box. In some machines, when trying to set the tower
configuration, an error message of "invalid property value" appears and the
program is terminated.

Interestingly, the new hardware (Vscope box, towers and buttons) seems to
operate perfectly well with the old DOS software. So it seems that hardware
is OK, but software is not.

Of course I am going give my distributor a run for their money about this,
but it would be nice to hear some suggestions, what might be wrong. Is
there anyone successfully using Vscope for Windows? In what kind of
computer and OS?

Ari.Hamalainen@Helsinki.FI
Univ. of Helsinki, Department of Physics
tel +358-9-1918311 (desk), +358-40-5143867 (mobile)
fax +358-9-1918680