Re: stroboscopic fillament

I too found it surprising that a tungsten filament showed a strobe
effect. So, I pulled out an MBL rig and did an experiment. Using the
Vernier light probe and ULI with a PC, I immediately was able to see
the 70Hz refresh rate of my computer monitor by holding the probe to
the screen. While I did not do it now due to no such lights in my
office, I know from prior work that I can easily see the 120Hz
flicker from fluorescent lights with this rig.

Now, to an incandescent desk lamp. I expected to see only a steady
light, but indeed there is a clear 120Hz flicker. However, the
variation in intensity was only about 15% from min. to max. This was
using a standard 60W (damn, I should have turned it off before
looking...) frosted light bulb. I'm sure that more exotic lamps might
have thinner filaments, and so cool still more quickly.

I was surprised, but yes, incandescent lamps show the 120Hz flicker.
Whether that's enough to _see_ a strobe effect by eye seems to be
borne out by the experiment of others.

JEG